Friday, August 26, 2016

The Grind, The Groove, and The Goal (All Covered in Rust)


           Wow! It’s been nearly two months since I’ve written anything. (I apologize in advance for any rustiness. Is ‘rustiness’ even a word? According to my computer’s spell-check it is.) Actually, I take that back; it’s been nearly two months since I’ve written anything significant, for over the past eight weeks I have written partial lyrics to about a dozen songs that will certainly not be recorded by any major or minor artists anytime soon. The last time I went this long without writing, I was helping to power a canoe down the Mississippi River. This time I was walking down the Oregon Coast. (Which you will hopefully get the chance to read about next year when I publish my much anticipated adventure travel book: A Long Walk on the Beach: 420 Miles on the Oregon Coast Trail.)
            [What a dreadful opening paragraph! Hopefully by the end of whatever this is, I’ll have gotten the rust out of my literary joints…]
             I want to talk about The Grind, The Groove, and The Goals, but not necessarily in that particular order. “The Goal” was to complete the Oregon Coast Trail—in which I succeeded—but The Goal was so much more than a simple achievement; it was the end destination of a journey that began long before I ever started walking. I was in “The Groove”: I had a job, a savings account, a place to lay my head, food on the table, etc., etc., etc…But, boy, could I feel “The Grind”: having to wake up each day to go to a job I despised, to put money in a savings account that I obviously didn’t need, to lay my head in the same place day in and day out, to put food on the table that was only making me fatter and lazier, etc., etc., etc… I was living, for lack of a better term, THE AMERICAN DREAM! But, unfortunately, not MY American Dream. And that’s why I needed a goal. Any goal.
            [Okay, that paragraph was a bit better, but I still think I can do better…]
            It was around New Year’s that I asked my girlfriend, “Say, do you want to hike the Oregon Coast Trail this sum…”
            “Yes!” she said before I could finish the question.
            I suddenly had a goal, and that simple goal, that derived from that unfinished question, was enough to make The Grind worthwhile; enough to justify living in The Groove. The job I despised suddenly had meaning (even if I knew that I would be quitting it soon enough), there was a good reason for that money I was saving, the food that was making me fatter was providing me with much needed calories to burn later, etc., etc., etc… That prepackaged American Dream finally had a purpose: it allowed me to follow My American Dream.
            And for six weeks, that’s precisely what I did: I followed My American Dream. And I’m aware that six weeks may not seem like a long time to most hard working adults, but when you’re traveling substantial miles on foot, hours suddenly feel like days, days feel like weeks, and weeks feel like months. All that Grind, all that time stuck in The Groove, it all finally seemed worthwhile because I was following The Goal. And a funny thing happened when I was on that journey: The Goal began to multiply. I don’t know if it was the adrenaline, or a feeling of purpose, or having nowhere to go but forward, but before I knew it, I was making lists, developing numerous goals, things I told myself I would accomplish as soon I got back in the groove, things like: finish editing my novel, write 1,000 words a day, exercise more, watch less TV, read more books, find a job that I didn’t despise, learn a foreign language, etc., etc., etc… until that list seemed so good and perfect and promising, that I couldn’t wait for the current Goal to be accomplished so I could get back into The Groove and go after them. I only forgot about one little detail—THE MOTHERFUCKING GRIND!
            [Slowly but surely, the rusty parts are being oiled…]
            I couldn’t wait to get home. I couldn’t wait to get back in the groove. My feet hurt, I was drinking entirely too much, and I was downright sick of walking ALL THE TIME! But The Grind had other ideas. My first day home I threw my back out. Throughout the entire hike, my lower lumbar had felt better than it had in years, so, boy, was it a surprise when I plugged my computer into an outlet and it felt like somebody stabbed my in the spine with a broken beer bottle. So, I spend a few days on the couch, “taking it easy,” watching the Olympics, and accomplishing nothing. By the time it’s healed, it’s time to go back to work, back to a job I despise, because often times Goals have a funny way of causing your savings account to bottom out. And after working all week in 100+ degree temperatures, I want nothing more than an ice cold beer, which quickly turns into a three day bender, because after all, I have friends I haven’t seen in two months that are more than happy to hear about my adventures over a drink or ten, and then all that booze weakens my immune system and out of nowhere I’m struck with the flu. And I know what you’re thinking: Who the hell gets the flu in the middle of summer? My thoughts exactly!!! And before I know it, two weeks have gone by since I accomplished that original Goal and I haven’t even begun to tackle a single one of my new goals. FUCKING GRIND!
            But it’s okay, because I know I’m not alone. Because if you’re not in the Grind, then you’re not really living. And without the Grind, the Groove would be too easy, and the Goal wouldn’t seem as sweet. I just need to get back in the Groove. These thousand words are a good start, (even if they are covered in rust). And when I’m done typing this, maybe I’ll go for a run, start in on a new book, edit some of my novel, practicar algun espanol, etc., etc., etc…[and hopefully work some more of this rust off…]
            Oh, Yes! About those song lyrics. I’d hate to be a tease, so here is small sample:

Go ahead and judge my worn-out soles
And eye me like I’m filled with sin
But I’d rather walk these lonely roads
Than hide my head in your crowded inn

And, yes, most of the lyrics deal with walking…go figure.

            

No comments:

Post a Comment