Friday, August 12, 2016

Part 6—The Legend of Chauty (Chautauqua, 6 of 7)


(Author's Note: This is part 6 of a 7 part series. To read previous entries, please visit jonpenfold.com)

Chautauqua: A Story in Seven Parts

Inspired by Actual Events

Part Six—The Legend of Chauty

            I wake up in the back seat of Suzy Q, the sun piercing my eyes through the window. I sit up to see that Tex is laid out across the front seats, stripped down to his underwear. I wake him up and we stumble out of the car to find Tommy in the trunk, his legs draped over the bumper. “What the hell happened last night?” I ask.
            “I remember Mike telling us that he was grounded, Tommy admitting that he made everything up, and then you saying, ‘I’ve got an idea.’ After that it’s all black.”
            “I don’t remember anything either,” I say, “but I’ve got one hell of a hangover.”
            I kick Tommy awake. “What happened last night?” I ask.
            “I don’t know,” he moans. “Just drive me home.”
            “You’re in the trunk.”
            “I know. I don’t care. I’ll ride back here.”
            “We drove four hours to get here and don’t remember a goddamn thing. I’m not going home without at least seeing the lake.”
            Tex and I pull Tommy out of the trunk and we all head downhill towards the water. When we reach the shore, we gawk at acre upon acre of open water, its smooth surface like a mirror, the sun glistening off it. “It’s beautiful,” I say.
            “Sure is,” Tex says.
            “Like heaven,” Tommy adds.
            “Even better when you’re out there.” A grizzled voice startles us from behind.
            We turn around to find an ancient man, probably close to two hundred years old, standing behind us. “So, what do you say?” he asks.
            “What do we say about what?”
            “About seeing the lake from out there? I can make it happen.”
            “What are you talking about?” Tex asks.
            “I can rent you a boat, so you can really experience the lake how it was meant to be seen. Only five bucks for three hours.”
            “Deal,” I say without even consulting my friends.
            The old man leads us down the shore about fifty feet to a rotting wooden dock with a small motor boat tied to it. I hand him a five dollar bill.
            “Now,” he says, “there’s only one rule: No Joyriding!”
            “We wouldn’t dare,” Tex replies.
            “Well then,” the man says, “if you’re not joyriding, then what are you going to do with my boat?”
            “Fishing,” Tommy says.
            “Without poles? I can rent you some for five bucks.”
            I hand him another five.
            “What about bait? You’re going to need bait to go fishing. I’ve got worms for sale. Five bucks.”
            I hand him another five and he hands me a small Styrofoam container. Tex, Tommy, and I climb into the boat and pull on the cord to start the engine but it won’t turn over.
            “You boys need some gas?” the old man asks. “I can sell you a gallon for five bucks.”
            “Five bucks!” I say. “I got a gallon for 87 cents last night. Fuck this. We’re done. I want all my money back.”
            “I’ve got it,” Tex says as he pulls a five out of his pocket. “I mean, we’re already in the boat and I’m kind of excited to get out on the water.”
            The old man takes the bill. “Alright boys.” He hands us a plastic jug of gas. “Just remember: No Joyriding! and: Beware of Chauty!”
            “What’s Chauty?” Tommy asks.
            “You mean to tell me you’ve never heard the legend of Chauty,” the old man lets out a sinister giggle. “Ever heard of Nessy, up in Loch Ness? Or Champ, up in Lake Champlain? Well, this lake has its very own monster, Chauty, who preys upon the flesh of boys who go joyriding.”
            “Sure he does,” Tex says as he starts the motor, drowning out whatever words the old man is yelling as we pull away from the dock.
            We immediately get to joyriding. The boat isn’t fast by any means, but it’s steady, and turns, though not on a dime. The lake is narrow, but long—only two miles at its widest, though seventeen miles from end to end. After running the motor for about an hour straight, we decide to give it a rest. “Now what?” Tommy asks.
            “We could fish,” I say. “I mean, we have all the stuff.”
            “Sounds lame,” Tommy says. “Nothing’s more boring than…”
            Before he can finish his thought, Tex casts a live worm through the air. It makes a beautiful plopping sound as it strikes the water’s surface. He slowly starts reeling it in when something snags it. Something big. Tex does his best to muscle the pole, but it’s useless. The force on the other end pulls him to his feet and nearly flips him off the boat. Luckily, Tommy and I catch him in time and use your combined weight to keep him stationed in the boat’s stern. But Tex doesn’t let go of the pole and we suddenly realize that whatever is on the other end of the line is actually pulling us across the lake at a faster pace than the motor ever did. “Just let go!” I yell.
            Tex lets go of the fishing pole and the boat comes to a halt. But then there’s a jolting impact beneath us that causes the boat to temporarily lift out of the water. We come crashing down, pushing waves in every direction. I notice Tommy looking over my shoulder, his eyes wide and crazed. His arm is extended and he’s pointing into the air, and his mouth is hung open, though no words are coming out. Tex and I both turn out heads around and towards the sky to find some sort of sea creature staring back at us. Its neck is long, like a giraffe’s, and its head must be twenty feet above us. I immediately grab a paddle and strike it across the monster’s smooth, wet skin. The paddle snaps in half and the creature lets out a deafening roar that has so much velocity that it pins our bodies to the bottom of the boat. We lay there, petrified, and scream like little girls at a slumber party.
            I close my eyes to contemplate my death and when I open them, the monster is gone. I sit up and look around the lake—nothing. “Get up guys,” I say. “Let’s get out of here.”
            We start the engine and head back to where we came from. When we arrive, the ancient man is standing at the end of the wooden dock, waiting for us. When we pull the boat in and cut the engine, he looks down at his wristwatch and says, “Ten minutes too late. That’ll be another five backs.” Then he notices the broken paddle. “What the hell is that?” he asks, pointing at the splintered wood. “And where’s my fishing pole? And how much gas did you use?”
            The three of us jump out of the boat and beeline it towards the shore. “Where do you think you’re going?” yells the old man. “You owe me money for the paddle and the pole and the gas.”
            Tex turns around, infuriated. “Listen here, old man,” he yells, “you sent us out there knowing there was a monster in those waters…”
            “A monster?” the old man says. “What are you talking about—a monster?”
            “Remember—Chauty,” Tex replies.
            “Oh, I made that whole thing up to scare you kids. Now just give me what you owe me and you can go.”
            “You’re not getting another dime,” I say as we hurry away from the water.
            We start running up the hill, back towards Mike Smith’s house and the old man is yelling the entire time. “I curse you,” he’s shouting. “I curse you…”
            When we get back to Suzy Q, Mike Smith is sitting on the hood. “There you guys are,” he says. “I talked my dad into letting me off the hook for today, so we can hang out.”
            “Screw that,” Tex says. “We’re going home.”
            I pop the trunk and throw the Styrofoam container of worms into my cooler. After closing everything up, Tex, Tommy, and I hop in the car and head back to our hometown.

To be continued...



No comments:

Post a Comment