Wednesday, June 10, 2015

My Goonies Adventure (Part 2 of 4)


Note: In celebration of the 30th anniversary of the theatrical release of The Goonies, I will be sharing my own true "Goonies" story throughout the month of June. Thanks for reading, and remember: "Goonies never say die!"

The story of the Neahkahnie treasure is a simple one. Centuries ago, both the Clatsop and Tillamook Indians told white settlers the tale of a “winged canoe” that landed on the beach just south of the mountain. Somewhere in the vicinity the Indians watched from a distance as several white men dug a hole, filled it with a large chest, placed a dead body over it for protection, and then covered it with dirt. But the legend doesn’t stop there. Around the same time a ship carrying a large cargo load full of beeswax crashed in the same area, most likely the San Francisco Xavier, a Spanish galleon on its way to California. The two very similar stories have caused debate throughout the years whether or not it was the same ship that carried the beeswax and the treasure. What historians do know is that a treasure has never been publicly found, but thousands of chunks of beeswax have.
            As neat as it was to view a chunk of history with my own eyes, the beeswax was not what I was looking for. I spent another hour searching the museum with no luck, until I ventured into the basement which contained local historical artifacts that had been collected throughout the last couple centuries. In a glass case just left of the stairwell I finally found what I had come to the museum to see. The rock was somewhat larger than a basketball, presumably much heavier, and engraved with strange markings. On a notepad I sketched out a small scale replica of the drawing: a horizontal line, underneath it an almost perfect equilateral triangle with the number 1632 inside, below the triangle a large W with a cross (crucifix style) on either side, below that another horizontal line with eight slashes through it, and then finally the letters D E L at the very bottom.
            I had no idea what any of it meant, but the triangle could clearly represent a mountain. And when most people would probably assume that 1632 was a year (the exact same year written on the map in The Goonies), I immediately thought it was a measurement (hopefully a notion that was mine alone). The rest remained a mystery. What was certain was that the rock was found somewhere on Neahkahnie Mountain, along with several others with similar markings, the first discovered around 1890. Unfortunately, few living people know precisely where the rocks were found, and they were keeping that knowledge to themselves.
            As I stepped back from the case my left foot landed with a thud, the kind of sound something makes when it is hollow. I was standing on a one foot square piece of plywood, painted the exact color of the concrete. Something seemed off. “The Goonies” instantly came to mind, the scene when they’re in the basement of the restaurant and they find a hidden passageway in the floor. I quickly looked up the staircase as to make sure nobody was coming, and then bent down, digging my fingernails between the thin crack that separated the two materials. After several seconds of prying, the board came up, and underneath it—nothing! Dirt. But still, the embarrassment of being caught was well worth the risk of never knowing.
            Back upstairs I searched the library for any more valuable information on the Neahkahnie treasure. Some local collections turned up little, but just as I was about to leave, a paperback caught the corner of my eye. It was small and blue, at 25 pages, more of a pamphlet than a book. The title said it all, Tales of the Neahkahnie Treasure, prepared by the Nehalem Valley Historical Society Treasure Committee in 1991. A stroke of luck, my research had already been done for me.
            I paid four dollars for the book, left the museum and set off north for Nehalem Bay State Park. After fighting sweeping headwinds for nearly thirty miles I reached my destination, set up camp, and headed straight for the beach. In the distance the mountain didn’t look like much—more reminiscent of a hill, or a large dome, without a summit point—unlike the high peaks that traditionally come to mind when one pictures a “mountain.” If the triangle engraved on the museum rock was indeed a mountain, it’s hard to believe that this was the one. 
            That’s it. I thought. That’s the mountain, and nobody could find a treasure buried in it? Walking toward it, the closer I got, the more my view changed (literally and figuratively). The hill grew substantially with every step, growing wider at the base and climbing higher into the sky. From where I started the mountain appeared so very close, but after an hour of trudging through the sand I still hadn’t even reached its base. The cliffs that climbed up the west side, waves crashing into their rock walls, were ten times taller than originally perceived. As the sun set, causing a horizon line as red as blood, I stretched my head upwards and decided: yes indeed, no doubt about it, this is a mountain.
            By the time I made it back to camp it was dark. I hung any open food on the low branch of a tree (seriously expecting it not to be there in the morning), climbed into my sleeping bag, and began to read Tales of the Neahkahnie Treasure. There’s a quote in The Goonies that older brother Bran says about the treasure: Everybody and their grandfather went looking for that. As my fingers flipped through the pages of the book, I quickly realized that the same held true for the Neahkahnie Treasure; and as for Chester Copperpot-- the fictional treasure hunter who dedicated his life searching for the Goonies’ riches-- there were plenty of real-life characters that lived life with similar aspirations. Enthusiasts used every means possible to try and crack the mystery. They came up with complex mathematical formulas and used advanced technology such as long range metal detectors and excavating equipment. They relied on dreams and even sought advice from psychics. Some even believed that the treasure was of biblical importance, containing ancient scrolls written by Moses (Yes, the guy who parted the Red Sea). Jobs, homes, and fortunes have been sacrificed in pursuit of the dream. In 1931 two men were even killed when their tunnel collapsed in on them. The hunt has been going on for so long, and so many cavities have been dug throughout Neahkahnie Mountain that people now refer to it as the “mountain of a thousand holes.”
            I fell asleep with treasure on my mind and woke to the sound of something tearing through the saddlebags on my bike. I crawled out of my tent and was face to face with three of the fattest raccoons that the world has ever seen. For the next forty five minutes we played a game where I would throw dirt at them, they would flee, and then minutes later scurry back toward the bag. Upon realizing that they were relentless and would never give up, I eventually removed all the food from my bags and threw it a good distance from the tent. In the morning I was astonished to find that the food that hung in the tree was hanging there still. How they knew that there was factory sealed food in my bags still remains a mystery.

To be continued...






No comments:

Post a Comment