Wednesday, June 3, 2015

My Goonies Adventure (Part 1of 4)


Note: In celebration of the 30th anniversary of the theatrical release of The Goonies, I will be sharing my own true "Goonies" story throughout the month of June. Thanks for reading, and remember: "Goonies never say die!"

            
            “Chester Copperpot, he was a pro. He didn’t make it this far.”
            The phrase echoed through my head as I stood on the beach at Smuggler’s Cove and stared up at Neahkahnie Mountain. Legend says that somewhere on the hillside, buried deep beneath rock and dirt, rests a chest full of riches—a pirate’s treasure that’s been hidden for over three hundred years. Throughout the previous century thousands of people had searched the mountain with little luck, but I figured my chances were as good as any.
            My adventure started two days earlier. As I sat in my Portland, Oregon apartment, surfing the internet for local legends, I came across the story of Neahkahnie Mountain, on the Oregon coast, and the legend of a buried treasure. I couldn’t believe it; I had been living in Portland for nearly two years and never once heard the story. The first thing that popped in my mind was the movie The Goonies.
One thing you must understand is that I have seen The Goonies more times than any other film ever produced. When it was released in 1985, I was merely three years old, so I didn’t have the opportunity to see it in theaters, but growing up as a child my family owned a copy of the VHS and I remember on rainy days, watching it over and over again. And I remember on nice days, my friends and I imagining that we were “Goonies,” reciting the many famous quotes, running around the woods behind our parents’ houses, pretending that we were on our own “Goonie” adventures. When I moved to Oregon in 2008, within an hour of stepping foot on Oregon soil, I was standing in front of the famed “Goonie House” in Astoria, calling my childhood friends, telling them that they would “never believe where I was.”
            So after reading about the treasure of Neahkahnie Mountain, I immediately had my heart set on my own “Goonie” adventure. My situation was not nearly as desperate as losing a house, but on a personal level it had a similar feeling. I had been laid-off from my job and with my savings dwindling fast I knew that discovering a long lost treasure could be my saving grace. So I packed my bags and set off the next morning, traveling by bicycle, just as the Goonies had.
            The shortest distance from Portland to the Pacific coast is approximately 80 miles. On a beautiful day, temperatures in the 70’s, and not a cloud in the sky, I pedaled for hours on end, my imagination helping to carry most of the weight. I felt relieved to be out of the bustling city, leaving behind the hurry and the noise, the buildings and the crowds.
            The Goonies found a map in an attic. I was relying on a single sentence that I had discovered on the Internet: “Travel one mile east of the beach at Neahkahnie to an enormous fir tree, then travel two hundred yards south to a big rock.” It wasn’t much to go on. But I also found that the Tillamook County Historical Museum housed some rocks recovered from the mountain that apparently had clues engraved into them. I at least had a place to start; off to Tillamook.  
            By the time I arrived, the museum had already closed for the day, so I rode another eight miles south to Cape Lookout State Park. To my surprise I was the only person in the entire hiker/biker camping area. It was a weekday in mid-May, but with the extraordinary weather I thought for sure there would be other adventurers traveling the coast. After a walk on the beach and the enjoyment of a beautiful sunset, I was asleep early, exhausted from the long ride.
            It was early morning, 2 AM, when I woke, my body shivering from the bitter cold. It couldn’t have been more than a few degrees above freezing; the only sound was that of my teeth chattering. Having forgotten a long sleeve shirt, and calisthenics doing little to reheat my body, I spent the next two hours in the shower house, the warm water doing its best to raise my temperature. Once the feeling in my fingers and toes returned, I packed up my belongings and hit the road. The morning was still dark.
            Taking the long way back to Tillamook, along the Three Capes Scenic Route, I watched the stars disappear, black turn to blue, waves crashing against amazing rock formations. The drastic grade of the steep hills produced sweat and a heavy breath as I climbed toward the sunrise. And then the self-created wind from flying down the backsides sent chills through my body that forced an uncommon appreciation for inclines. By the time I returned to town I felt like a million dollars, having recorded nearly twenty miles before most people were even out of bed.
            The museum didn’t open until 10am, so I spent the morning tooling around town, having breakfast, visiting the library, and picking up supplies (including a much needed long sleeved shirt). I was the first one through the museum doors when they were eventually unlocked. The spectacular displays that filled the ancient building were well worth the mere four dollar entry fee. The outside, which hadn’t looked like much, appeared to double its size indoors and was flooded with local, regional, and national history, along with several scientific exhibits on animals, geology, and the natural world. Immediately upon gazing through the very first room I entered, something peculiar caught my eye. It sat in a glass case, about knee high, and was approximately the size of a small shoebox. Its color was a mixture of grey and tan, its texture smooth, almost slippery looking. Across its surface, large numbers could clearly be made out. At once I knew exactly what it was: beeswax. Probably not a clue, but it was definitely part of the puzzle.

To be continued...




No comments:

Post a Comment