Friday, January 13, 2017

The Real Deal on Veal



            Before I even ordered it, I knew somebody would say something. I’ll admit, the thought of being scorned did cause a bit of apprehension. But I’ve never been one to care too much about what other people think. So, when the server asked what I would be having for dinner, for the first time in my life, I said, “I’ll have the veal.”
            “Excellent choice,” the server replied, with a smile, which seemed to signal a slight hint of affirmation that my decision didn’t immediately make me a horrible human being. But then, as soon as he was out of ear shot…
            “I can’t believe you ordered that. Those poor baby cows; in those tiny little crates.”
            I knew the comment was justified. But I had to defend my decision. So, I used the first argument that came to mind. “But they’re already dead,” I said. “They’re already in the refrigerator, ready to be cooked. My decision to order veal isn’t going to change that fact.” I know, it was a weak argument.
            And then the others at the table caught wind of what I had just done. And now they felt the need to tell their own personal stories about why they refuse to order veal. I didn’t know if I was supposed to feel guilty or ashamed or both. But they didn’t understand! I had to do it! I needed to know!
            I was with my writing group. We meet every other Thursday at an Italian restaurant to critique our work. It just so happened that one of the members of the group had a company Christmas party at the same restaurant, a party that went well under budget, leaving enough leftover money to provide each of us with a free dinner. As a self-proclaimed “cheeseburger and pizza kind of guy,” I had already decided that 2017 would be the year that I would try new foods. And as someone who has been walking the poverty line like a tightrope since the day I was born, this might be the only opportunity where I could possibly afford the veal parmesan.
            So what exactly is veal? And why do so many people despise it? Plain and simple, veal is baby cow. They typically slaughter the animals before they are twenty weeks old. While they are alive it is customary in many regions to house the calves in small crates, which restricts their movement, which keeps the meat extra tender. It’s a horrible practice, but there is good news: Ten years ago, the American Veal Association passed a resolution encouraging the entire industry to phase out crate confinement by 2017. But on the other hand, I don’t find the use of the word “encouraging” very encouraging, because after all, when there’s money to be made…
            So, how was it? To be perfectly honest—extremely disappointing. You’d think something that was so controversial to create would taste out of this world. But it didn’t. It tasted like beef trying to do its best impersonation of chicken. It was pink, like beef, but tender like a bird. With every bite I took, (on top of being filled with guilt) I couldn’t help but think: What the hell is the big deal? Why is veal even a thing? Seriously, why don’t people just order chicken? You know, those animals that are often confined to tiny cages, which restricts their movement…
            That was the first time I ate veal. And the last. I don’t know if the controversial meat will go out of style any time soon, but I do believe that in the future, when scientists perfect the growth of artificial meat in laboratories, future generations will look back at ours and truly believe we were barbarians for the ways we treated our animals. 



No comments:

Post a Comment