Wednesday, May 13, 2015

BREAK FAST SERVD ALL DAY (A Screenplay)



FADE IN:

INT. DIVE BAR – NIGHT

The room is empty except for JIMBO (30’s), who is standing behind the bar, cleaning glasses with a rag. The front door opens. Enter CARL (30’s), soaking wet. Thunder crashes as he closes the door. He takes a seat on a stool in front of Jimbo.

CARL
Where is everybody?

JIMBO
Where is everybody? What do you mean—where is everybody? It’s the goddamn storm of the century out there! The real question is: What the hell are you doing here?

CARL
I’m hungry. I want some breakfast.

JIMBO
Breakfast? It’s eleven o’clock at night…

CARL
Yes. Breakfast. Two eggs, over-easy, hash browns, rye toast, bacon, sausage, a half a grapefruit, and a Bloody Mary.

JIMBO
I’ll make you a Bloody Mary, but you’re fucking nuts if you think you’re getting any goddamn breakfast!

CARL
But the sign says, “Breakfast Served All Day”!

Carl points at a piece of cardboard behind the bar that reads “BREAK FAST SERVD ALL DAY” in thick black marker.

JIMBO
I don’t care what the sign says. I’m not
firing up the grill to cook you breakfast at eleven o’clock at night.

CARL
But that’s false advertising!

JIMBO
False advertising? How’s this for false advertising?

Jimbo grabs the cardboard sign, rips it in half, and discards it beneath the bar. Where the cardboard was leaning, we now see a small safe with a combination lock. Thunder crashes as the front door opens. A masked BANDIT enters, soaking wet, holding a small pistol in his right hand. He points it at Jimbo.

BANDIT
Money! Now!

JIMBO
(laughing)
All right, Bill. You got me. Good joke. You can put the gun down now.

BANDIT
I don’t know who the fuck Bill is, but you’ve got to the count of three to give me some fucking money! One…

JIMBO
Or what Bill? You’ll shoot me?

BANDIT
Quit calling me Bill!

JIMBO
Then what do you want to be called?

BANDIT
I don’t want to be called anything! I just want the fucking money!

JIMBO
Come on Bill, the jokes over. What do you want to drink?

BANDIT
I don’t want a fucking drink! And why the fuck do you keep calling me Bill?

CARL
Because it’s clearly you Bill. That mask aint foolin’ us. We can see it in your goddamn eyes. Aint nobody else got eyes like you. Why do you think you named your bar Bug Eyed Bill’s?

JIMBO
So, what’ll it be, Bill? The usual?

BANDIT
Wait just a second. You think I’m the guy who owns this fucking shit hole? That doesn’t even make sense! Why would somebody rob their own fucking business?

CARL
Where do we start? Gambling debts?

JIMBO
Cocaine habbit?

CARL
Alimony?

JIMBO
Child support?

CARL
Insurance fraud? I mean, the list goes on and on.

JIMBO
Listen Bill, I understand the urge.

BANDIT
I swear to God, if you call me Bill one more time I will shoot your friend in the fucking head.

The bandit swings his arm and points the gun at Carl.

JIMBO
Go ahead Bill, shoot him. See if I care.

CARL
Yeah Bill, shoot me.

BANDIT
You’ve got to be fucking kidding me!

The bandit swings his arm back, once again pointing the pistol towards Jimbo.

BANDIT (CONT’D)
The safe! Open the goddamn fucking safe!

CARL
Okay Bill, now we’ve got you. If you don’t own the place, then how did you know the safe was there?

The bandit swings the pistol back towards Carl.

BANDIT
Are you serious? What do you mean, how do I know the safe is there? I can fucking see it, you moron!

The bandit swings the pistol back towards Jimbo.

BANDIT (CONT’D)
Now, open the fucking safe!

JIMBO
You know I don’t know the combination.

BANDIT
Ha! If I knew that you didn’t know the combination, then why would I ask you in the first place? That proves that I’m not Bill!

CARL
Unless you’re using reverse psychology…

BANDIT
That doesn’t even make any fucking sense! If I knew that you didn’t know, and then pretended to not know, even though you knew…you know what, fuck it, I’m dealing with fucking idiots! Just empty your fucking pockets!

The front door opens. Enter BUG EYED BILL (40’s), soaking wet. The door closes. Thunder crashes.

BILL
What the fuck is going on here?

The bandit swings his pistol towards Bill.

BANDIT
Now, who the fuck are you?

BILL
I’m fucking Bill! My names on the fucking sign outside! Who the fuck are you?

The bandit swings his gun towards Jimbo, then Carl.

BANDIT
Ha! I told you motherfuckers that I wasn’t Bill!

The bandit swings the gun back towards Bill.

BANDIT (CONT’D)
Now, you! Open the fucking safe!

BILL
Okay, okay, easy now. I’ll open the fucking safe.

Bill walks behind the bar and begins to work the combination.

BILL (CONT’D)
Hell of a fucking storm out there, ain’t it?

BANDIT
Just shut the fuck up and open the mother fuckin’ safe!

BILL
Okay, okay, was just tryin’ to make conversation. Here we go…

Bill turns the knob one last time and opens the door of the safe. He spins around with a gun in his hand.

BILL (CONT’D)
Now, get the FUCK out of my fucking bar!

BANDIT
All right, settle down, nobody needs to get hurt.

BILL
I’ll give you to the count of three to get the fuck out of my bar. One…

The bandit turns around and flees out the front door. Bill returns the gun and closes the safe. He walks around the bar and takes a seat next to Carl.

JIMBO
What are you doing here?

BILL
I was hungry. I felt like some breakfast.

CARL
(Smiling)
Breakfast!

JIMBO
Breakfast?

BILL
Yes. Breakfast. And, by the way, where the fuck is my sign?

FADE OUT:
THE END



No comments:

Post a Comment