Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Rapids (An excerpt from The Road and the River: An American Adventure)


            Streaks of reds, yellows, whites, and blues are clearly visible on the large rocks just below the water’s surface—paint stripped from the bottoms of boats that have traveled this route before. We add some color of our own as we bottom out time and again, scraping our canoe’s hull across the river’s bed. A shiver rolls down my spine each time we make contact, worried more than anything of damaging our canoe. I don’t believe we’re in any physical danger, and I’d say with confidence that we’re running the rapids about as smoothly as they could possibly be run, until…
            The canoe turns, ninety degrees, perpendicular with the rapids, crashing the amidships into a large rock. With one side of the canoe pinned against the obstruction, the fast-moving water bucks the other side, lifting it, working to roll it over, like a log. Water begins to pour over the gunwales. A dry bag falls overboard. Nothing is tied down. I don’t think. I react. I jump out of the canoe. The water isn’t deep, just above my knees, and not moving fast enough to push me over. I use all my might to push down on the far gunwale while pulling up on the one closest to me. I swing the bow, using the rock as a pivot point, until the canoe is straightened out, and once again parallel with the water flow. I hop back in my seat and as we proceed downstream I reach overboard to snatch the slow floating dry bag.
            It all happens so fast that it seems like a dream. We continue down the river, floating so casually, and maneuvering so serenely, that I begin to wonder if anything even happened in the first place, if the whole occurrence wasn’t just a figment of my imagination. And then, when the rapids end, and the water calms, Jack makes it perfectly clear that something did indeed happen, that I am not losing my mind. “What the hell was that?” he asks.
            “What the hell was what?” I ask in return.
“You steered us directly into that rock back there.”
            “Me?” I reply. “I thought you steered us into the rock. Wasn’t I the one that saved us?”
            “Saved us?” he says with laughter. “By what, jumping out of the canoe?”
            “It worked, didn’t it?”
            “Well, if you wouldn’t have steered us into the rock in the first place…”
            “We both know that the man in the stern is in charge of steering.”
            “That’s right, and I was steering us straight, until you took us right into that rock.”
            “Alright,” I say, “I’ll take full responsibility for the mistake, but I’m also going to take credit for saving us. So now you can tell everybody that you know a real hero.”
            “But you see, the thing is, if you set a building on fire, and then save everyone inside, that doesn’t change the fact that you set the building on fire. You’re still going to jail for arson.”
            “Well,” I say, “luckily I didn’t start a building on fire.”
            “Your logic is absolutely ridiculous.”
            “When you’re a hero, your logic doesn’t have to make sense.”
            It’s good that we can joke around about our little debacle, because according to my calculations, we’re going to be sitting about ten feet away from each other for another 2,542 miles. 


No comments:

Post a Comment