Tuesday, December 23, 2014

My Short X-mas Story


            It was my sixteenth Christmas on Earth and I was old enough to understand that Santa wasn’t real, Jesus wasn’t the actually the Son of God, and my parents weren’t wealthy enough to be wasting their hard-earned money on stupid gifts that their children wouldn’t really appreciate. I unwrapped my presents and received exactly what I expected, exactly what I really needed: underwear, socks, and a membership to AAA. Once all of us kids were done opening all of our gifts from our parents, it was time for us to exchange the ones we got for each other. I can’t recall what my older brother got me, but I’ll never forget the present from my sister, or the one I gave to her. We were both in high school, at that age where practical jokes were much more priceless than anything you could purchase at a store. From my sister, I unwrapped an absolutely useless poster-sized collage, filled with photographs of LeAnn Rimes and Hanson, the band behind the megahit “Mmmmbop.” (At the time, I couldn’t stand Rimes, but to this day, I still don’t understand the pictures of Hanson, for I was, am, and always will be a fan of the blond-haired brothers and their upbeat, feel-good music.) From my parents, my sister had already received what she had been asking for all year—a CD player—so, I thought it would be funny to give her an empty CD case with a fake cover that said, “Haha, I bet you thought this was a CD!” It was hilarious.
My last gift of the day was from my little brother, who was only eleven years old at the time. Not expecting much from my youngest sibling, I was surprised to open a card filled with a half-dozen scratch-off lotto tickets. While my siblings played with their gifts and my parents cleaned up wrapping paper, I scratched off the tickets one by one. Loser. Loser. Loser. Holy shit! Sweet baby Jesus! Santa Clause is real! “I just won ten thousand mother-fucking dollars!
“Hey, watch your language young man!”
But I wasn’t fooling around. I had just won. And I won big!!! What would I buy? A new car? Probably not. A used car? Maybe. Every Beatles album ever produced? Most definitely. “I’m rich. I’m rich. I’m rich!!!!!!!!!”
            “It’s fake.”
            What?
            My little brother breaks out laughing. “It’s fake,” he says. “It’s a fake lotto ticket. I bought it at Spencer’s Gifts.”
            That year, my entire family had a good laugh at my expense, and because of it, it was a Christmas that I’ll never forget. Sometimes the best Christmas memories have nothing to do with spending money, sometimes they have to do with losing it. And Jeremy, by the way, I’m still going to get back at you someday, when you very least suspect it…


No comments:

Post a Comment